Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
heartdisease
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: a6000 Prime Lenses
In reply to Ozyxy, 4 months ago

Ozyxy wrote:

heartdisease wrote:

I don't know if anyone mentioned the SEL 50 1.8 but its a great lens. Even more so when you consider the price & its excellent OSS. I have the Sigma 60mm prime also & the Sony is even better imho.

Reviews say the Sigma has more sharpness than the Sony, I have the Sigma and I want to buy the Sony too for its OSS and f/1.8 awesomeness, but I don't think the Sony would exceed the Sigma's sharpness. I think I will keep the Sigma as my main portrait telephoto lens and I will use the Sony as a low light lens or a video lens because of its OSS.

In what ways have you found the Sony better than the Sigma? Want to post a sample picture?

-- hide signature --

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." = If I demanded you not take or publish a picture of me then I would be guilty of censorship. Free speech rights include speaking about people and photography is free speech.

I just got home from a week out of town. If I get a chance this weekend after I get caught up I will see if I can get some good examples posted up. To me the Sigma has a smaller area in the frame that is tack sharp. It seems like it has a different depth of field at the same settings that is also shallower in the left to right of the frame vs the 50 1.8. It is also very different in its focusing characteristics than the 50 1.8 imho. I get many less spot on shots out of a series of shots and the ones that are great are not the usually in the first few frames of the series. It has been a learning experience. With my other Sony lenses they all behave pretty much the same as far as what you can expect. The Sigma is not as predictable and I found myself disappointed and knowing with the 50 1.8 I would have gotten better results. I also think the Sony has better contrast although that might not be quite the right description. I think what I am experiencing and seeing are 1. Contrast vs pdaf (although my 5n seems to do better with the 50 1.8 than the a6000 does with the Sigma) and 2. a difference in the coatings on the elements showing up. I think I have been spoiled by the 50 1.8, the Sigma is sharper and has more pop than the kit lens for sure (either the 18-55 or the 16-50 pz) but it isn't anywhere close on focusing performance (as you would expect). I need to get my other two Sigmas out (19 & 35) and compare them also.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow