Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eigenmeat
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
OIS Issue/Shutter Shock is here in Fujiland too :(
3 months ago

I recently picked up an X-A1 and a 16-50mm zoom. Overall, the lens is sharp, and the camera give wonderful color and noise performance. However, I keep noticing my images are not consistent when shot at 50mm. I did a test to find out.

All shots are handheld(no point to test OIS related issue on a tripod). 3 shots are taken with each OIS setting (OFF, mode 1, mode 2), the sharpest picture of each set is shown in the comparison below:

Shooting Parameter: F6.4, 1/480sec, ISO200, 50mm on the 16-50mm lens.

OIS Mode 2 and OIS OFF produce identical result. OIS Mode 1 clearly produce unacceptable result.

OIS Mode 2 and OIS OFF produce identical result. OIS Mode 1 clearly produce unacceptable result. In fact, all 3 images from OIS Mode 1 were blurry, while all 6 images from OIS Mode 1/OFF were pin sharp.

Note that I am not claiming OIS Mode 2 is always superiors. This highly depend on your camera/lens/focal length/shutter speed combination.

The X-A1 and 16-50mm may very well be the lightest OIS combination in the Fuji X line up. This test nonetheless shows thar the Fuji X-System is not immune to OIS/shutter shock problem. I hope Fuji can implement electronic first curtain soon.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow