Going FF(?)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Elti87
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: Going FF(?)
In reply to Robert Palmqvist, 3 months ago

Robert Palmqvist wrote:

I made the switch from DX (D7000) to FX (D700) as my traveling kit this summer. You can read about it in this post: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54062178

24mm is usually wide enough for me (24-70, 24-85 or 24-120 are all good alternatives bringing different things to the table, I guess 24-120 would have been the best replacement for my 16-85 on DX but I went with the 24-85).

I have been considering a prime as a complement if I want to go wider (20mm). Other alternatives if you want a wide zoom, 16-35 (pros VR; cons build quality), 18-35 (pros lightweight, price; cons speed, distortion, build quality), 17-35 (pros build quality, speed; cons weight). It all depends on what you prioritize (I usually prioritize weight when I travel).

For long reach, if you don't care for VR, a used 80-200 f/2.8 (AF-D ED New) maybe (great bang for the buck)? If speed and lack of distortion is not that important maybe a 28-300 coupled with an ultra wide (prime or zoom) could be a "cover everything" with only two lenses combo?

This is all good with my D700 but maybe not with a high resolution body like the D810?

Getting a prime wide angle is actually a good option. I will think about it. Thanks for bringing it up

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow