Is the Sigma lens worth the savings versus the Nikon lens?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
g4hudson
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Is the Sigma lens worth the savings versus the Nikon lens?
4 months ago

I need a better lens to take action shots for my son's high school football games and all games are at night and the field lighting is bad. My Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens is great for daytime sports photography but it does very poorly for action shots with low lighting. I am a novice and I admit that I mostly use the sports mode and get great results with daylight action shots. I know I will have to step up my game and learn how to use the manual settings for night time action shots.

I am looking for a new and better lens for my Nikon D5000. I found a Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM for $1,199 and a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II for $2,399. Without sounding silly but I have to ask why the Nikon lens costs so much more. What can the Nikon lens do that the Sigma lens cannot to justify the cost? Unfortunately I am on a low budget and cannot afford to buy top shelf lenses and cameras.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

g4hudson's gear list:g4hudson's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow