Why does flash slow the E-M1 down so much?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,906
Like?
Why does flash slow the E-M1 down so much?
4 months ago

Hi,

I recently shot the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (Canada's MTV Awards) using an E-M1 / 12-60mm DZ lens with adapter / and FL-50R flash.

The results were published all over the world and were generally quite successful.

Kylie and Kendal Jenner at 2014 MMVA's

However, I experienced some disappointment using the E-M1 (a camera I absolutely love btw) with the FL-50R flash.
Every time after a burst of between 3 to 5 exposures the camera would stop completely for a few seconds and then continue at really low frame. Using the flash seemed to take up all the memory, it was like the buffer was suddenly full.
Without the flash it zips along at 10 fps, put the flash on and it crawls.

Lorde backstage at the 2014 MMVA's after winning an award

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what the problem is, or is this a glitch with mirror-less cameras in general?
My E5 will hum along shooting with flash at a stroboscopic 5 frames per second for what seems like forever.

It's not image review - I have that turned off
It's not the flash running out of charge - it will still stop and then continue at a slow rate even though the flash is fully charged.

I have to shoot the Toronto International Film Festival in 2 weeks and would like to use the E-M1 , but I think I'll be forced to use my older Olympus DSLR's if I can't resolve this.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Douglas Brown

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow