Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CassJP
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Just wanted to say "Thanks!"
2 months ago

I've been lurking this forum without an account almost everyday for the last few months and I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions. Things can get heated at times, the endless debates over Shutter Shock for example, but I think by in large people are positive and this place is best when people are friendly even when they dont agree. We all make mistakes and erroneous assumptions from time to time but I think it's good to remember there are no prizes for proving some stranger wrong on the internet.

Anyway I wanted to introduce myself, in short, I'm very new to photography. I recently acquired an e-m10 and have slowly, or quickly depending on your point of view, been acquiring lenses and have been having a blast. I tried to get into photography a number of times when I was younger but I just could never get into photography when using point and shoots and didnt feel good enough to justify the cost of a dslr or to justify the cost of film before that. Also, I felt self conscious carrying a big camera.

After helping a friend choose a camera, and reading extensive professional and user reviews (many from users on this site), I impulsively also picked up an o-md in view of a fast approaching trip to Europe. Turns out my parents also made the switch recently, honestly, we're like some weird poster ad for Olympus Father E-M1, Mother E-M5, and Me E-M10.

The hardest part for me has been lenses. I bought a 45 first and I love the images but the FL didnt suit me, the 25 was great, but once I had the 7.5 FE i realised I need something between the 7.5 and the 25 as well. I love the endless comparisons and break downs on lenses and alternatives by everyone on this site but as someone very new I found judging what FL to look for in a lens the hardest thing to know. I guess you cant know till you get out there and work out what you like to shoot, how and when.

In any event, I've found this new hobby great, got me out of the house more and seeing the place I live in a whole new way. It makes it more fun to explore when you can capture moments and share them with others later.

Anyway as a thanks for everyones comments on this forum I thought I'd share a few photos from my travels over the last few months as they mark the start of my photography journey.

Thanks everyone!

CassJP's gear list:CassJP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow