Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
g4hudson
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Need lens for taking low light action sports pictures
4 months ago

I am looking for advice from the experts on what type of affordable lens I should buy to take nighttime high school football game pictures and also indoor basketball. I have a Nikon D5000 camera and my Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens is great for daytime sports photography but it does very poorly for action shots with low lighting. Outdoor lighting at our area high school football fields is not good for taking pictures. Unfortunately I cannot afford a $5,000 lens but I want to know what you would recommend.

I am just a low budget dad and an amateur photographer who wants to take the best picture I can afford of my son playing sports. I have also been asked to be the team photographer (unpaid of course but I enjoy taking the pictures) so now I have the pressure to take some great action shots of our team in action from the sidelines at night. I admit that I have never learned how to adjust my cameras manual settings for I have always used the sports setting and so far I get great results when mother nature provides the sunshine for good lighting but I can no longer do that with the task before me. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

g4hudson's gear list:g4hudson's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow