Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
edform
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
Would I buy a Stylus 1?
4 months ago

We've had a couple of mentions of the Olympus Stylus 1 here in recent days - in particular, Elliot posted a couple of night scenes that were really rather good, so I went to Wex Photographic today and had a look and feel. These are my impressions...

1. It's tiny, an easy fit in a jacket pocked or a belt-loop pouch.

2. It feels lovely: metallic and solid with nice buttons and switches.

3. The EVF is poised uncomfortably between amazing and disappointing: the clarity and the ability to move it rapidly without break up of any kind is remarkable - way better than my RX10, but the magnification ratio is horribly small. I'd get used to it, I suppose, but on balance I'm disappointed - a number of the reviewers have said that its the same EVF as the recent OM cameras and, if that is the case, I wouldn't even look at a 5 or a 10.

4. Picture quality - I may be unfair here because I had to shoot indoors in the brightly lit Wex showroom, but I'm not very impressed - the images below are...

A picture of my RX10 taken with the Stylus 1...

SOOC JPEG

A picture of my RX10 taken with my wife's DSC-HX9V point and shoot...

Good light but not direct sun.

Finally, a portrait of the Wex sales guy taken with the Stylus 1...

Helpful Wex guy

Forget artistic merit - pixel peep to your heart's conchantlement - but I think the Stylus 1 has produced rather grey, flat images. It also seems to be fighting to keep chromatic aberration in check - look at the camera picture at 100% and you'll see that all the markings on the camera and the shutter button have orange fringing on them.

What do you think?

I'm tending to the idea of sticking with the RX10.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow