Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Otts
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Question for a friend - GX-7 vs Sony a6000
4 months ago

A friend of mine is going on a 3 week African safari and wants to purchase and learn a new camera for the trip.  He is not a camera guy - relying mostly on his iPhone - but wants to capture much better pics on this trip.  In the olden days he did shoot with a 35mm film camera so knows the basics.

I expect him and his wife to limit themselves to the Intelligent Auto or Scene modes on whatever camera they choose.

He is won over by the Sony reviews but I asked him to go check out the camera with the appropriate lenses to see if this combo would work in his travel kit.  He is travelling by bush plane numerous times and is severely weight and size constrained - therefore a mirrorless ILC system is needed.

We went in to a camera store the other day to check out the various offering.  A GX7 with the 14-140 II was significantly smaller than the Sony with their comparable lens - it wasn't even close.  He seems to be stuck on the a6000 reviews around auto-focus speed while at the same time being concerned about the size and weight of the Sony lenses.

Does anyone have any insight of using either of these cameras on this type of trip?

My research has identified a few things:

• Sony and GX7 are nearly the same size and close in price
  • GX7 seems to have better build quality
  • Sony has better sensor - but bigger sensor = bigger lenses
  • Panasonic/Oly lenses seem to be smaller but better as well
  • Cost difference isn't a huge issue for him 

My gut feeling is to let him go with the Sony.  Not because I think it is the right choice for him (he didn't even want to look at the Oly of Fuji offerings), but because I want him to choose what he thinks is important and let him live with the results.  Am I wrong in this approach?

Thanks,

O

Otts's gear list:Otts's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow