ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,146Gear list
Like?
Have D4; Thinking of D810 vs Sony A7r as 2nd body
4 weeks ago

Hi!

For the last year I've been down to a single body (D4) after having sold a D3 upon my return from an Africa trip.

With the D4 I have most of my photographic bases covered, and I don't mind the size of "Pro" body.

I have a specific niche in mind that is making me think about a Sony A7r.

Two of my favorite lenses are the Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar and the Zeiss135/2 APO Sonnar. They booth can take advantage of a 36MP sensor.

Even though I am pretty good with manual focusing, I still have more out of focus shots than I'd like with the D4, particularly when working with a narrow DOF.

Anyway, I visited my local camera shop (first mistake!) and took a look at the Sony A7r which I believe shares the same basic sensor with the D810.

The Sony has a really nice focusing aid with manual focus lenses, where the in-focus objects light up with a very conspicuous red in the viewfinder.

I do understand the richer feature set of the D810. But most of those I have with the D4.

Anyone have experience with both the Sony A7r and D800/8100?

Opinions?

D4; Zeiss 135/2  APO Sonnar; f/8 ISO 800 1/200 sec

Thanks!

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow