Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MattVa
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Canon SX 260HS fuzzy pictures
4 months ago

Using a Canon SX260HS for indoor pictures where it is critical to read text on nameplates.   Sometimes the picture is perfect, and sometimes it is just gawdawful due to camera motion blur. Mind you, I am trying to hold it steady.   I don't have time for a tripod in this instance.

I understand that I can change modes, control everything (shutter speed, aperture, etc) and eventually get on top of it... but that is pretty time consuming.

Looking at one of the bad pix, it fired the flash, and kept the shutter open for 1/15s at a focal length of 4.5.   Not sure if 4.5 is maybe 25 mm equivalent?  In which case, in a prior life using a manual camera, I would have used at LEAST 1/30s in speed, and leaned towards higher speed.

I was considering higher end cameras with bigger sensors, etc, etc, when it occurred to me that this might just be a bad (for me) auto mode on this camera.   Perhaps they are trying hard to maximize battery life, or perhaps they decided the subject was not that close given the weakness of their flash?   Whatever, it is a terrible decision for my use.

I wondered if this is typical in p/s cameras or if some mfr's have better-for-me decision matrix.  I can carry 3 batteries, so battery life is not a concern for me.  It would be interesting to know mfr decision logic.  Perhaps they guard it like the Coke recipe.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow