Pentax K-S1 small, DA-L 18-55mm large,Pentax needs new ultra compact standard zoom.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Broken Hill
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Pentax K-S1 small, DA-L 18-55mm large,Pentax needs new ultra compact standard zoom.
4 months ago

The more i look at the images of the Pentax K-S1 the more keen i am on the camera especially it's very compact size, but what really jars is the size of the attached DA-L 18-55mm. It's big and looks clumsy on the body. Pentax really needs to introduce a new and very compact standard zoom. Look at the recent introductions from others;

Panasonic G Vario 12-24mm F3.5/5.6

Olympus 14-42mm F3.5/5.6 EZ M-Zuiko

Sony have their E Series 16-50mm F3.5/5.6

All are super compact and make for a very appealing combination on a body. A new super compact standard zoom could also be introduced as a manual zoom and powerzoom version for those wishing to use it for video.

The existing 18-55mm has always been a adequate lens but it really needs to be better. I'm not arguing that the lens would not need to be super compact like the M4/3rd lenses but be small and very good quality even at the tradeoff of the focal length.

So could we live with a Pentax 18-50mm F3.5/4.5 if it is smaller or maybe consider the possibility of a 15-60mm F4.0/5.6 standard zoom? Pentax have been willing to intrduce a very small lens when the DA 40mm XS was introduced with the K-01.

Imagine the possibilities of the compactness of Pentax DSLR's with a very compact short zoom!

Thanks

Broken Hill

Broken Hill's gear list:Broken Hill's gear list
Pentax K-3
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow