A tough camera w/ good IQ & won't break your bank or back?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Angrymagpie
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
A tough camera w/ good IQ & won't break your bank or back?
3 months ago

I was recently taking pictures at a protest with an a7. When both the water cannon and teargas were deployed, I had to get out of the way since my camera was far from adequate to handle that situation.

Just out of curiosity, what would be a good camera that can handle that type of situation (trouble-free, switch camera and carry on shooting), can produce good quality images (ruling out go-pro), and won't break your bank or your back (nothing too expensive or heavy)? I guess that would be Nikon AW1? (Such a shame that it doesn't have EVF)

Also,

I am not familiar with the world of expensive weather-sealed pro-level DSLR, but most photojournalists at the scene were more than happy to carry on shooting, and had no doubt captured many great images that I had to give up on due to my otherwise excellent mirrorless option.

I was wondering if those journalists would later pay the price - since teargas was such a fine powder that they could probably penetrate even the weather-sealing on the pro-DSLR? And the water cannon... can weather-sealed pro-DSLR & lenses really take that?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow