Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Fellow pentaxians: Website build questions
4 months ago

It seems like i'm not breaking any forum rules and I do believe some of you Pentaxians out there are tech savvy enough to answer a website build question that I have ???

background: I am having a site built which is being populated and almost ready to go live.

The first meeting I had with the design company boss, he showed me a site they did for a builder with a slide show of 3 or 4 houses, which took up the whole front page and recommended that being a photographer, was a great way to try and showcase 3 or 4 of my favourite shots, plus a gallery page later........... cool I said, lets do it.

So, Web site is built and getting populated with a few of my wedding shots from the other month, when the email comes back saying I need some different shots with more background so the subjects aren't too..... "close".

I have a look at the front page and sure enough, photo's (as I do and most likely others do) are framed well but not with excessive background around them , so I see the brides eyes, nose, top lip, and 2nd wrinkle on her forehead...... Bride and groom are getting cut off in another shot in front of an old wooden shed door....... etc etc, so effectively only around 45-50% of the inner part of the photo can be seen on the slide show.

So aside from this not being what I had imagined and was shown, I find it strange that I cannot provide a photo with a standard aspect ration from my DSLR and that it cannot be placed onto the page?? It's a bit Like the sort you see on PF review when people post large files??

They asked me for high res, so I drop boxed them full res files......

Am I missing something here? I thought they should be able to resize to fit?

It's a modern web design system, where I can be given the admin soon and play with my photo's and blog. Supposedly more modern and user friendly system.....

Now left either looking for or going back and trying to shoot some portrait shots with a wedding theme with a really wide aspect, so the middle 50% can be used..... I don't always or very often shoot like that. It seems counter intuitive to my photography 101 training of mostly filling the frame. Even if I do wide shots, it will be because the background provides a backdrop or atmosphere for the photo.

Do I just need to downsize my pixels and make them smaller size photo's  ??

Appreciate chatting to fellow photog's who may understand the intricacies of web site populating.

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow