Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,975
Like?
Example of the Tilted Effect on DOF in a Macro
4 months ago

I have created a PK to PK Tiltable extension tube out of a PK-NEX tilt adapter and a T-mount to K-mount adapter taken apart. The thing is with tilt the wider the lens the greater the effect so I'm using it on my FA35mm F2.0, this combination gives approx. 1.1:1 magnification, just a pinch larger than life size. With the tilt I'm capable of 8 degrees which isn't too shabby. The problem with this adapter is that you have to manually set the aperture, shoot through a dark VF and try to determine focus while its already stopped down. LV can help but focus peaking will tell you a lot of stuff is in focus and of course you've got to manually set the flash. One final problem is the fact that your working distance is 2cm or less with this combination.

These shots were taken at F11, the first is not tilted, the second is tilted 8 degrees, this was not scientific as it was hand held. look carefully at the pollen and you'll see the effective change in DOF (the DOF doesn't increase it just gets tilted to make more of the subject foreground to background look in focus) Ignore that the focal length reports as 50mm i had SR off and didn't set the focal length so its were it was left the last time i had a manual lens on the camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow