Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Shutter Shock
4 months ago

As a fairly long-time FF DSLR user, I've happily put those tools aside for travel with my M43 alternatives, a GF1, a GX1 and now a GX7.  All have had enjoyable image-making holidays in Europe over the past four years and I'm glad they took me with them.  I may have  unknowingly and quite innocently attributed some apparently misfocused or unsteadily-held images to careless camera hndling on my part.  Now, as I rerad more and more posts here I realize that I may be experiencing "shutter shock" from time to time with my images (I don't shoot video and I'm pretty careful to be aware of having sufficient shutter speed for my M43 focal lengths/apertures, balanced with adjustments, sometimes experimental, in Auto ISO).

With my current GX7, I've almost always used the dandy electronic shutter, except for some recent action pictures at a horse race track in Ireland, but I'm a little concerned, even as I have a tiny notion of phasing even further into M43, perhaps even supplementing my GX7 with an E-M1, although, except for the viewfinder, I don't so far (using Panny OIS lenses, of course) find quite enough attraction in the superior E-M1 viewfinder and in-body IBIS) to make more of a transition, but it seems to me that the notion and happening of shutter shock in some M43 equipment (lenses/camera bodies, presumably), is  a pretty serious, if not fatal, flaw not found in the FF and APC DSLR community, and may be nearly impossible to effectively prevent in the current M4 technology.

I look forward to effective remedies to what appears to be an ongoing problem.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow