Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
YoThatLimp
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Possible back focus issue on my new D5300
4 months ago

So i purchased my first DSLR a month ago (I am coming from 2 years of using a Sony Nex 5N) and I noticed the focus in the viewfinder to be off a little bit. I have set up a test composed of three different shots at three different angles totaling six photos on my tripod. Each set of shots use the same settings combined with the built in 10s timer to eliminate camera shake, the exif data should still be there. I converted each image to black and white and bumped up exposure by .6 of a stop so the focus point was easy to spot. I used the center focus point in AF-A mode for each shot and focused on the dark horizontal band in the middle.

I am using my 35mm at F/1.8 to properly show the issue, but it is also apparent with my kit lens, the 18-140mm, just not as extreme.

So the uploader here limits size so here is a link to the full size tiff files. The camera is really great, but it kind of stinks knowing that my photos aren't as sharp as they could be! I have contacted Nikon support will the info. I know the percentage of people willing to download these files is small, but I wondered what more experienced people than I thought!

Link to photos on google drive

YoThatLimp's gear list:YoThatLimp's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow