Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 969
Like?
New SSD partioned into C and D ?
11 months ago

I will soon build my new PC from the components I’ve had setting around for a few weeks. A totally new PC, i5, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, 8GB ram, new PS, and case, and Windows 7 Pro. I will also get a SSD, Samsung EVO 240GB.

For 25 years I have configured my PC drives/partitions so that the OS is on C, the programs/apps on D, and data on other partitions. I realize that although an app may be on D it may very well have some “hook” into the C OS partition. Like - C:\Document and Settings\Administrator\Application Data. I have around 25 apps and utilities using about 15G. Whenever I install a new app, e.g. two days ago was VideoPad Video Editor, I always do a “custom” install and NOT let the app install default into C (C:\Program Files) but install into a folder on D with its name. When I do a system OS backup I copy/clone both C ad D drives.

Sooo, for the new 240GB SSD could I still follow this old habit? That is, partition the SSD into perhaps a C of 100GB and a D of 140GB? (And data on partitioned spinners).  Or perhaps C 80 and D 80 and E 80 for scratch?

Thanks all for you help - Tom

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow