Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,197Gear list
Like?
Re: a6000 Prime Lenses
In reply to Ozyxy, 1 month ago

Ozyxy wrote:

heartdisease wrote:

I don't know if anyone mentioned the SEL 50 1.8 but its a great lens. Even more so when you consider the price & its excellent OSS. I have the Sigma 60mm prime also & the Sony is even better imho.

Reviews say the Sigma has more sharpness than the Sony, I have the Sigma and I want to buy the Sony too for its OSS and f/1.8 awesomeness, but I don't think the Sony would exceed the Sigma's sharpness. I think I will keep the Sigma as my main portrait telephoto lens and I will use the Sony as a low light lens or a video lens because of its OSS.

In what ways have you found the Sony better than the Sigma? Want to post a sample picture?

The Sigma is an excellent lens. I played with it at a Sigma booth a while ago...

Sony Alpha NEX-3 + Sigma DN 60/2.8, at f/5.6

My issue with it is that it is trumped by a lens I already have which is also better suited FL on APSc, Sigma's own, DG 70mm f/2.8 EX on A-mount, an excellent compliment to Sony 16-50/2.8 SSM (since 50/2.8 is not very good for isolation portraiture). And it doubles as a macro lens.

At 60/2.8, the Sigma is basically a portrait lens, without the speed. That takes us to E 50/1.8 OSS. I don't have the lens (I personally use Minolta 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 for AF, Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 or Canon 50/1.4 LTM II for manual focus), but have heard and good things out of it too. It works well as a low light lens, the same way E 35 does. One of the very first searches on Flickr brought this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/halberst/9595842612/sizes/k/

Pretty impressive for a lens pretty much wide open (f/2), which also allows keeping the ISO down to 100 while providing 1/500s for shutter speed (and avoid any motion blur). The same image with DN 60 would either require ISO 200, or one would have to settle for 1/250s. So, while sharpness might be about even at comparable apertures, the speed itself wins out for me. And for others, OSS as well since Sigma chose not to include OS.

Now speaking of sharpness, here is E 35:

NEX-6 + E 35/1.8 OSS

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow