ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
purpleray
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Which Forum for Opera Photos?
1 month ago

Hi All

I used to regularly post my community opera photos here before I moved to m4/3s. While I used to get a strong response on the Oly forum, the m4/3 forum interest has always been weaker. So weak that I havent posted shoots of my operas and musicals there for some time. A couple of days ago, I posted some and got zero interest.

So I'm just testing out here before I try Flicker or some other site - any Suggestions?

Here is my original Intro post.

Hi

After a few interim solutions, I've finally got together my new kit for doing operas and musicals.

Em5 and 12-40 f2.8 with Em1 and Pany 35-100 F2.8. This replaces my last 4/3s kit E5 with 12-60 F2.8/4 and E620 with 50-200 F2.8/3.5. In between times, I used the Pany 12-35 on an EM5 with the E5 using the 50-200. I use the Black Rapid twin sling for pretty much instant access to both cameras.

What's different? The 12-40 is just that bit crisper than the Pany 12-35 and Oly 12-60. The Pany 35-100 seems on a par with the 50-200. I'm swapping cameras a lot more with the shorter range - 12-60 meant I hardly had to change cameras at all. Of course the m4/3s camera have very little noise issues - pretty much nothing that cant be handled easily by LR - but then again my real life audience are not pixel peepers and alike the romantic grain and atmosphere of theatre photography

I shoot trying to capture the drama of the whole scene and action - so shoot wide quite a lot. I also need to record the set and the chorus for the producers and the chorus who buy the photos. So this makes DR and noise a bit of an issue trying to capture leads under lights and chorus in shadow.

I did shoots of the final 2 dress rehearsals for Rockdale Opera's production of Pirates of Penzance. This was the longest running opera company in Australia until their theatre was closed down for asbestos 3 years ago.

The first shoot is the one I used and provided to the company - so mostly wider shots with some closer shots. These I have to produce in a couple of days so prints can be put up in the foyer and photos distributed to the cast. A bit of a hectic production - 40 prints and a couple of hundred shots have to be sorted and PP'd from about 800 shots in a couple of days.

The second shoot I focused more on the cast than the action, so more tele shots - I only put these together in the last week, almost 2 months after the shoot. Much less PP on these as I only used these as a record for myself - no client.

Some photos of the first shoot in the reply.

The reply-

Hi

First shoot focused on capturing the wider scene and drama of the action.

Ruth and Frederic and the Pirate King

View: original size

The Pirate King

Mabel says yes

Bring it on

Major Gen Stanly meets his match

The General and Isabel

Ruth scorned

More photos in the reply

Cheers

Ray

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow