Risk of sending in D810 for "thermal fix"?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565Gear list
Like?
Risk of sending in D810 for "thermal fix"?
3 months ago

I was planning to go ahead and send my D810 to Nikon for the fix and have the free shipping label and everything printed when I started to think about other issues and wondered what others do:

1) Has anyone else"insured" or "tracked" their camera return at their own cost? If so, how much was it?

2) Anyone else nervous about having UPS or Nikon lose their camera? What recourse would I have if I didn't insure it myself?

Based on my own typical usage, I don't think I'd ever see this white dot issue and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth the risk to send it in. I typical use LENR which fixes the problem in my testing, and I have yet to see the white dots in 1.2X crop mode, so I'm beginning to wonder if it is even worth the risk of sending it in, especially if a future firmware will be issued that I can do myself. I never sell my used bodies, so I don't care about resale value issues.

I may call Nikon and UPS to discuss these issues, just thought I'd check here first to see what others experiences were on past recall issues. Thanks.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow