How to protect camera from condensation?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
How to protect camera from condensation?
1 month ago

Hi everyone,

We're heading to Disney World at the beginning of September and I'm currently planning on bringing my GH3 as usual which has gone with me almost everywhere in my travels, including past Disney World visits.

One of the "problems" with Disney World in the summer is that you are constantly going in and out of air conditioned spaces with quite drastic temperature changes.  The temperature and humidity in September are usually very high and the air conditioning in the buildings is very cold.  It feels wonderful on the human body, but I don't think the camera enjoys it very much.

Most people I see there just walk around with their cameras without any regard to this.  But I have experienced my camera fogging up a few times when walking out of these cold spaces into the heat.  I'm concerned about condensation on the inside of the camera and lens.

Just curious if or how you protect your gear when frequently going to and from hot and cold environments?

On a side note, my other thought is I might pick up a Sony RX100 M1 as the prices are quite reasonable now with the M3 out.  Then I could literally keep the camera in a pocket.  Also considering the GM1 for the same reason, but potentially not as pocketable.

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow