Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
conradcliff
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Night shooting w/Nikon D3300
4 months ago

Hello, so I just got a D3300 and went downtown to do some night shooting and to my chagrin I was unable to see a preview of exposure changes while in live view under normal shooting operation. Not to mention the fact that I can't change aperture settings while in live view, but I realize the hardware limitation there.

I can switch to manual movie mode and that will show exposure changes but then it wont allow me to reduce down below a 1/30th shutter speed.

My problem is that when shooting a dark subject I need to be able to see it in order to focus on it.

The trick I found that helps is that I can switch to movie mode, and crank up the ISO, then digizoom in and focus, then turn the ISO back down to a reasonable level, turn the movie mode off so that I can now reduce the shutter speed down so that I can have proper exposure.

However annoying that may be, it works... unless the subject is super dim.

I was just trying to get a shot of my car in super dim light and even with the shutter at 1/30th (slowest possible in movie mode which is the only mode that seems to show exposure preview) and the ISO cranked to Hi1 the car was still totally dark and impossible to focus on.

How do I focus on a dark object? In the above scenario I have a 15 second shutter+processing time. Taking trial shots over and over just wont do.

Any pro tips? Or should I get the T3i?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow