Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527Gear list
Like?
Why I think I need the FZ1000 - correct me if I'm wrong
1 month ago

I want a jack-of-all-trades camera: wildlife, family snaps, portraits, macros, travel, landscape, fun. I have the FZ25, FZ70, and a Nikon 3100. None of these fit my needs fully, alone or combined.

The FZ25 is my pocket cam and is good in that role (will be more satisfactory when I get down to ordering a clear view). I carry it like a phone, always on the ready. (Patch pocket pants are so terrific they should be in my gear list!) But we all know the limitations of this small camera.

For larger sensor, I have the Nikon D3100 with Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR but I am very disappointed in the sharpness of this setup. Scarcely better than my FZ70 though less noisy. (And I can PP the FZ70's noise, no problem.) It's a small DSLR but I still have to cart around extra lenses. The view finder is very clear, which is one of the reasons I bought it, in addition to the APS-C sensor (darn, it should get sharper images - but that's another thread altogether). But, image review is not available in the view finder and the screen is impossible to see in bright light. So, I can't tell if I'm getting a good shot most of the time outdoors. It suffers from slow focus and focus search issues. It's a very entry-level DLSR with limited features.

My FZ70 is my go-to camera. There's a lot to like about it: long reach from wide to long most notable. but, the down sides are: I have to PP almost everything to get the quality I can live with, removing noise and sharpening. That's getting old. But my biggest complaints are: (1) the EVF is poor IMO; low res. My aging eye just can't see clearly what I am shooting half the time. Focus point is so often missed (my aim?) and I can't see that that has happened until upload. Screen doesn't help much as it too isn't the greatest and bright light eliminates any chance of a critique. Then there are other issues: (2) burst rate are pathetic, (3) slow focus and focus searching are annoying to infuriating. (4) slow zoom. (5) Even after PP, the images usually lack the sharpness I want, not up to par with what I see coming from the FZ200.

Speaking of the FZ200, that was going to be my next camera but, from all the accounts given by the FZ200 owners who have moved up to the FZ1000, it seems that I should go all the way now and snot bother with the FZ200 in my tool box.

What are your reactions to my comments here?

Bill

BTW, I'm not worried about the size of the 1000, I don't think. I'm a big guy with big hands.

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post, except people pix, are unrestricted - copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. Please do not redistribute any of the people pix I post. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow