Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dotes
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
A7/A7r/A7s electronic distance scale resolution
3 months ago

So I am sitting here, contemplating getting a FE 35/2.8. Thing is, I really really need a distance scale for a lot of my street shooting. Now, there is an electronic distance scale on the A7 series which is available in MF mode with e-mount lenses. And the selected focus distance is saved and restored after power off and then on. So far, so good.

I have only one e-mount native lens lying around, the lowly 16-50 PZ OSS. Never used it before, but I put it on to play some with the scale and see how it works. In two words: it sucks. It baffles me why would anyone design an electronic scale which goes from 0.1m resolution below 1m to 1m resolution above 1m. I can put the distance to 2m and this tells me almost nothing. The lens might be focused anywhere from 1.5m to 2.5m or whatever and still display 2m. Totally useless for prefocus. Now obviously I don't expect bullseye accuracy, but some more resolution in distance display up to around 4-5 meters is absolutely necessary.

So the question is: is the resolution in distance display lens specific, or is it just the way this thing works? I guess the latter, but asking doesn't hurt. Thanks.

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow