Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?
Present 14-54, do I want the 12-40?
1 month ago

I am using the two copies of the 14-54 mk1, that I own, one on my E-PL5, the other copy is attached to my one remaining DSLR, the E-1. Since the days of the DSLRs, it is my favorite lens.

I liked the colors, resolution and overall performance of these 14-54's when I used them with the 5, 8.5 & 10mp DSLR's, so when I switched over to m43, I bought a adapter and have been happy with the 16mp PEN and the added DR. Most of my shots are "landscapes", so a bit slower focus has not been a problem.

Recently I have decided to further slim down/update, the of camera gear that occupies most, if not all of a sideboard cabinet. ( besides the two PENS, there is still a collection of 7 other cameras, flashes, tripods mono-pods, camera cases filled with cables, filters, straps etc).

I also have been looking at a bunch of old pictures and have been very impressed with shots taken with a c-8080wz, at 24mm. Really like that view.

So awhile back, I bought a used 12-50 native m43 lens, primarily for its 24mm view. I am not very happy with it (soft) and it now is attached to my spare PEN camera, a E-PM1 which I loan to family etc.. Soft or not, still a step-up from the average cell phone.

I also have the little native pancake 17/2.8 lens, along with the Sigma 60mm. Still have all my 4/3 lenses, plus a bunch of legacy glass, bellows etc. and have tried them all on the E-PL5.

All the 4/3 glass will focus well in bright lit light, but inside or on dim lighted scenes, they may miss focus if you don't wait a little.Not good for anything that moves.

Here are the questions. Will the 12-40 focus well in dim light? Worth the big price vs what I could get selling one of the 14-54s?  Will I be happy with the 12-40 as far as IQ vs the 14-54? Would I be better off buying a 12mm prime and keeping the 14-54?

Thanks in advance.

Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow