Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
babart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446Gear list
Like?
Fuji 5O-230 compared to primes
3 months ago

Jees, I have the hardest time comparing lens quality today.  Used to be this was described as discernible lines/mm.  Now it depends on the sensor being tested with the lens and the method of testing.

When shooting landscapes I've taken to using a few Pentax prime lenses for longer reaches.  On both the Pentax K-5 and the Fuji X-E1 (with adapter.)  These include 70, 90, 100, 135, and 200mm lenses.  I don't carry all of them, just one or two at a time :).  I'm doing this because the Pentax 55-300 I've used previously doesn't seem critically sharp when at midrange and out farther.  This lens is touted as being pretty decent for a consumer lens, and most Pentax users might agree.

Enter the two telephoto Fuji zooms.  The 55-200 just seems too heavy, and the 50-230 is almost too good to believe for the price.  But I can't find a way to compare either of these lenses to the Pentax 55-300, or to the various primes I sometimes use.  For example, Photozone has yet to test the Pentax 55-300 with the 16mpix sensor on the K-5, so comparing it with the two Fuji zooms (which they have tested) isn't possible.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

-- hide signature --

BAB

babart's gear list:babart's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow