Thinking of buying a 25mm lens. Questions and thoughts.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676Gear list
Like?
Thinking of buying a 25mm lens. Questions and thoughts.
4 months ago

So, I'm thinking of getting one of the two 25mm lenses.  Here's what I know:

• I've looked at reviews and images of both
  • I've concluded I'll be super happy with images from either
  • Though I agree with those reviewers who rate the Panasonic higher (especially the slightly better looking micro contrast)
  • The Olympus is smaller, so may get used more often, given my needs (more discreet, plus it need to fit in the front compartment of my rucksack, when my rucksack is full of shopping)
  • The Panasonic is priced like a 50mm f1.4 lens for 35mm (and has come down in price quite a bit)
  • The Olympus is not really priced like a 50mm f1.8 lens for 35mm (though I expect the price to settle down somewhere lower than its current price, at some point)
  • The price difference between the two is around £75, in the UK.

So, on the face of it, it might seem silly not to spend the extra on the Panasonic.  However, I think one question might be prudent.  Has anyone used the Panasonic on a modern Olympus body?  I expect the Olympus to focus like lightening (just like my 45mm f1.8).  Can I expect the Panasonic to be anything like as fast?

A penny for your thoughts?

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow