Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
corg902
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
V3 accessories fall by the wayside
2 months ago

For the first couple of weeks of using the V3 I kept the GR-N1010 grip and DF-N1000 EVF on the camera all the time. I turned off the touch screen capability and used the EVF exclusively for framing and focusing. After a while I got tired of the screen blanking out when my hand or even the tilted screen tripped the sensor that switches between the screen and EVF. And I also realized it's a pretty crappy EVF, so I took it off and started using the screen. It's excellent even in daylight. Plus in certain situations it's nice to actually use the touch screen to focus and shoot. I don't think I'll put the EVF back on.

When I got the 70-300 lens I tried using it with the camera on a tripod. I don't have the TR-N100 Tripod Mount because I can't find it anywhere except on ebay for 2x the list price, so I attached the camera to the tripod with the grip in place. Wow that was bad. I had to adjust for the fact that the grip had a lot of play in it with that lens on the camera, so I had to focus above what I really wanted to capture to account for the whole unit sagging when I let go. So I stopped using the grip, and found I don't miss it -- my hands are sort of average sized and I don't have arthritis yet so I can hold the camera just fine without the grip. Plus it saves 40 seconds when I change batteries.

I'm enjoying the camera a lot. I do realize though that what I thought was a good package deal -- the grip, EVF, and FT1 adapter included with the camera and 10-30 lens -- really wasn't such a great deal. I don't use the FT1 much because I'm enjoying the excellent continuous focus that's not available when the adapter is used. It's a fine adapter and I'm sure I'll use it sometime, just not right now. And I don't use the 10-30 at all.

I honestly don't know if I would have bought the camera if I'd known I wouldn't use the accessories (sorry 10-30, but you're an accessory). They seemed to sweeten the deal. Oh well.

Caveat emptor!

corg902's gear list:corg902's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow