ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gergei1
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Oly eye-detection vs. Pany face-detection
3 months ago

Hi guys,

As of late I've shot a lot of portraits, mainly with my Panasonic G3/Sigma 60/2.8 combo, and overall I must say that I am not too impressed with the accuracy of the face-detection AF-mode of the G3.

Don't get me wrong; overall I am very satisfied with the speed and accuracy of my lowly camera, but my 'eyes-in-focus' hit rate is simply not good enough when shooting portraits in face-detection mode.

And since I'm considering a body-upgrade this is something I'd like to factor in.

So, basically I've got two questions:

(1) Those of you who have experience with both, would you say that the Olympus eye-detection AF-mode is significantly more accurate than Panasonic's face-detection equivalent?

(2) Those of you who have upgraded to later Panasonic bodies like the G6 and GH3, have you experienced a satisfactory level of accuracy when shooting portraits in face-detection mode?

Thanks for any input!

From a recent shoot. G3 + Sigma 60/2.8. Metz 44 AF-1 with 70 cm dodecagon soft box camera right.

gergei1's gear list:gergei1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W120 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow