Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DominicVII
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
The build quality of Samsung lenses
1 month ago

I would like your guys' honest opinion on the build quality of Samsung's prime lenses.

I am considering the following two lenses:

1) 30mm f/2

2) 45mm f/1.8

Regarding the 30mm, I read the following on amazon:

a) "Lens is now junk. The focus by wire system will no longer work. Don't waste your money on this less than completely ready for prime time lens."

b) "same thing happened to me , sent it to Samsung ,they fixed it and had it back within a week. Very happy with their service"

c) "On my 30mm, after only a couple of weeks, with moderate use, the black ring on the front of the lens just fell off. You could see that it was cheaply glued on, with sloppy hand-applied glue. Samsung's service center repaired it. But just used the same cheap adhesive glue as before. After I got the lens back, after a couple of weeks it fell off again."

d) "Great lens so so build quality"

Although I am in no doubt as to the optical merits of the Samsung lenses, I am wary of their build quality. To be honest: these criticisms do not apply to Samsung only. I am accustomed to using metal lenses with screw drive; with these lenses very little could go wrong. With by-wire focusing and plastic build, the matter is very different.

I am asking these questions, because I need a mirrorless system in addition to my DSLR.

Your input would be of immense help.

DominicVII's gear list:DominicVII's gear list
Pentax Optio H90 Pentax Optio E90 Pentax K-r Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow