Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,785
Like?
KEH for the win.
2 months ago

Circumstances have forced me onto a very tight equipment budget the past couple of years. I've been making due with one E520 a 14-54 mk1 and the 40-150 kit zoom when it comes to assignments. No one has complained yet, but I knew I could do better.

A windfall came my way and I was able to budget a certain amount toward purchasing the long desired 50-200 (perhaps one of the best lenses for concert photography available) Used prices were normally running $500 and up for a non-SWD version, and about $200 more for the SWD version. Then I spotted a deal on Keh.com for a non-SWD 50-200. No pouch, no tripod collar, no hood, not even caps, but at $387 I was well within my budget. I had extra rear caps, and knew I could get a front cap for less than $8, as well as DYI a lens hood and a tripod support if needed (which I doubt). The lens arrived and I emailed KEH to inform them it was NOT EX+ as listed: it was more like LN+. Not a mark or scratch, not even any wear marks on the lens mount. It looked as though it had just been sitting in someone's bag or a drawer, used a few times then sold.

It get's better. My beloved E520 is showing some signs of use and age. Sometimes it front focuses with the 14-54, especially below about 25mm. It doesn't always register the CF card. On occasion it will rack the 40-150 all the way out to infinity and I have to turn the camera off to reset. These issues are rare, but indicated I needed a back up/second body asap.

Enter Keh.com am an E600 for only $228. I could have spent $60 more for an E620, but that exceeded my total gear budget available and there were other things I needed to buy. The E620 arrived today-battery fully charged-and it too is in far better condition than the EX+ rating it was given. The E600 gives me the advantage of more flexible AF, higher and more flexible ISO, and the articulating LCD compared to the E520 not to mention slightly better DR.

I'd love to upgrade to shiny new OMDs, but since my main gig is for a non-profit organization, I'm not making a lot of money. But then I see Keh has an EM1 for only $1038...

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow