Flat view
Ron Parr
Forum ProPosts: 13,758
Like?
Cheap S400 battery tested
Jun 24, 2003

Last week I ordered two ridiculously cheap S400 batteries from Sterlintek:

http://www.sterlingtek.com

Here's the link for the batteries, which cost $8.99 each, with a total of $5.99 S&H:

http://www.sterlingtek.com/canpows3digc.html

They arrived today, so I charged one and tested it. I never tried a test like this with my original battery and my testing method was different from Phil's so it's hard to do a direct comparison. However, I think you'll agree that the results are not too shabby for $8.99 no matter how you look at it.

I set the camera at the largest resolution, superfine quality, continuous shooting, LCD on, auto ISO, flash and held the shutter down as long as I could to take as many shots as possible on a single charge.

In many ways this was an unrealistic tests because I didn't spend any time reviewing my shots, did no zooming or framing between shots, and the camera rarely needed to focus. I'd guess it focused maybe a dozen or so times when I had to briefly take a brake from shooting to rest my finger because of cramps.

I started with a blank, formatted 512MB Sandisk card. To my amazement, I filled it up with 396 shots. I then went to play, erased all the images and started again. I took another 209 shots for a total of 605 shots before the battery gave out.

As I said, these results are not comparable with Phil's because he uses a different routine. (I didn't have time to do it his way.) I also haven't benchmarked my original battery. That said, the test seems sufficient to convince me that the batteries were worth it. Given what I've seen, I'd be surprised if my original battery were dramatically better than this and wouldn't be surprised if it were worse.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow