Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Travelling the world with one lens?
2 months ago

I'm taking a year off and looking to go travelling soon, whether it's the world or just a country remains to be seen, but either way I'm concerned about getting bogged down in photography. I've been fine recently taking a lot of stuff because I've been stationary, but I want to be more mobile this time and don't want photography to get in the way.

Fairly recently I bought an X100S with this in mind which I absolutely love. One thing that worries me though is the absolutely shocking video options. I do however not mind having just a 35mm focal length for when I've been around towns.

I'm therefore thinking of taking my GH3 and just an oly 17mm f1.8 with me, along with a monopod and potentially a GoPro for filming some of the wetter activities I'll likely find myself doing.

Do you think you could happily travel somewhere with literally just one focal length. A lot of people swear by the X100 as a travel camera, although a fair number use the wide adapter. One thing that worries me is knowing I have my pro zooms and things sitting and home. Maybe if I sell them I won't miss them so much when I see a shot I'd need them for

Also with the 17mm for video, I've heard the autofocus is very good. Is it up to the job? Also with the clutch manual focus does that enable you to actually properly rack focus, or it the amount it changes still speed dependant in any way?

The other options I'm considering is what I always dreamed of having as a travel kit, which was the ply 9-18mm, panasonic 35-100mm and a fast prime in the middle somewhere, or perhaps the 14-140mm and the 17mm. Just too hard to decide

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow