Flat view
Hatstand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
Stop button labels wearing off?
4 months ago

I note that the FZ1000 follows in the footsteps of other recent FZ models:

Buttons have labels printed on them.
Button labels will therefore wear off over time.
(certain buttons on my FZ200 have labels almost gone)

It is my view that button labels are better printed on the body, next to the buttons, where they ought to last longer... But given what we have, how to make the best of it?

I am wondering about painting matt or satin polyurethane varnish over the labels (before they start wearing off). This stuff is super-durable, as proven by my wooden kitchen surfaces over a great many years.

But would it bond to plastic buttons well? Or would it simply peel off? (and maybe take the labels with it :-P)

You can get water-based polyurethane varnish, rather than based on solvents that may cause damage. But what about the polyurethane itself? Could that melt the buttons or dissolve the labels?!

I'm not sure if the buttons are made of the same material as the body, so testing on an out-of-sight spot on the camera body may not prove anything.

Anybody done anything like this before?
Any other suggestions?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow