First camera: A mirrorless, a DSLR, and a compromise - please help!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
saltana
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
First camera: A mirrorless, a DSLR, and a compromise - please help!
2 months ago

I'm looking to buy my first camera. I'm involved in video and photography at school, and will be taking video as much as photos. I need a lightweight camera that is versatile, as I will not be buying another camera for a while.

Here are my considerations:

Panasonic Lumix G6 - This forum seems very enthusiastic about this camera. I like the light weight and portability of the camera, but I'm worried about the versatility of the camera AND the image resolution compared to the Canon. I also do want to get experience handling a DSLR because I plan on handling more technical projects later in life.

Canon Rebel T3i - I like the versatility and overall function of the T3i, but do want something more compact and light. I know it's not as heavy as the other cameras out there, but compared to the G6, it is heavier. I don't want this to be the factor of me deciding to leave my camera at home.

I explained the situation to a friend who is into photography, and he suggested the Canon SL1 as a lightweight DSLR - as a compromise between the autofocus and somewhat less grainy DSLR and the portability and lightness of the mirrorless.

Again, versatility and portability are very important.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow