Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
biggles266
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Question re practical use of wireless (RC) flashes
4 months ago

Hello I am looking to get an FL-36R (since the FL-50R is a bit large and has a slower sync speed and the FL-600R is too expensive for me), but I would like to check how its wireless connection works in practice.

I believe it is controlled by a burst sent by the onboard flash of my Olympus E-P5, is that correct? So my onboard flash must be up but it won't affect the photo, right? There's no way to control it with the onboard flash down?

If the onboard flash must be up, and the FL-36R must see the burst sent by the onboard flash, it must have line of sight. But line of sight to what - the subject since the burst flash bounces off them, or line of sight to the camera? What if I am hand holding the flash (which I hope to do), will I have to hold it carefully to avoid blocking the flash's view of the controlling burst, or is that easy to manage in practice? And what if I want to put the flash behind a large softbox, how will it get the line of sight then?

If there is no way of it working behind a large softbox, is there a similar alternative flash that will?

Thanks!

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow