Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,633
Like?
Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings
1 month ago

After spending time at the relatively desolate Chaco Canyon, the crowds at Mesa Verde came as quite a shock. I waited in long lines to purchase tickets to go on a ranger tour of a couple of the dwellings. At Spruce House, I hoped to capture a photograph of the interior of a kiva, but the line was 35 deep and never let up. There was no chance of getting time to capture a photo even if I had the patience to wait in line.

So, capturing nice pictures wasn't easy. Most of my photos of the Cliff Palace involved waiting for one tour to clear before the next one approached. Typically, I would wait 30 minutes for a tour to end and then have about 30 seconds (if that) to get photos of the dwelling without having it packed with 50-75 people.

In the end, I was pleased with the images. But, they certainly involved a bit of frustration. However, the crowds at my next stop (Antelope Canyon) were infinitely worse!

Here's an example of a scene a few minutes before I captured one of the images that I kept:

Cliff Palace

Spruce House

Cliff Palace

Square Tower House

Spruce House

Much of the park has experienced forest fires in recent years

Cliff Palace

Cliff Palace

Spruce House

Cliff Palace

Thanks for looking...

Glenn

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow