Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,078Gear list
Like?
'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?
1 month ago

The other 'Organic' Thread is full. This one is specifically about how you print your digital pictures.

Henry Falkner wrote:

Everything about film is toxic, except the gelatine used in the emulsion. That has to be cleaner than the jelly you eat.

I was a photographic technician in the film days.

JulesJ was using the word organic for one of its other meanings.

Response was -

I do agree with you though when it comes to the film process being toxic, especially color. To be fair to film, one also has to consider how toxic the process of manufacturing digital camera sensors is. Then you have the manufacturing of inks for those who use inkjets.

I am not familiar with plastic production. Fibreglass circuit boards seem benign.

I deliberately chose the chemical meaning.

I'm sure you know this considering your experience, but a final thing to consider is that the vast majority of printed photos are still produced on traditional photo paper. The main thing that has changed is digital files are projected onto the paper instead of a negative.

As much as I like digital I am very happy that I can still print my digital photos to traditional photo paper. In fact, all my printed photos are now printed to traditional photo paper.

Here is my latest print on my studio wall -

Warehouse Stationary did it 46"x33" on matte paper and laminated it. The print comes from the same camera as the picture above, after I enlarged it 3x in PSE7.

There is no smell in that printing department! it is open plan.

A photo-paper print machine to do this would use half their floor area, and gallons of chemicals, cubic meters of water and kilo watts of electricity for drying prints.

Now I consider 'organic' printing unnecessary in most cases, and irresponsible.

Henry

__
Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Olympus Stylus SH-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow