Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brad Bohland
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
FZ1000 + Marumi 330
3 months ago

I bought a Panasonic FZ1000 and was disappointed with its macro performance (I couldn’t get close enough to my subject to fill the frame) so I bought a Raynox 150 macro lens filter, which turned out badly because it had a smaller diameter than the FZ1000 lens, producing an undesirable black border, so then I ordered a Marumi 330, which fits the FZ1000 lens.

The Marumi 330 has arrived and it certainly works better than the Raynox (see below).

I like the image quality of the FZ1000 quite a bit and want to keep it, but it needs to allow me to fill the frame on the macro end. The Marumi 330 does improve the camera’s macro performance enough to make me decide to keep the camera, but I would be happier if the FZ1000 fixed zoom lens was designed with a shorter minimum focus distance (MFD) because it would make macros easier (hand-held focusing is difficult with a macro lens filter) and have better depth of field than you get with a macro lens filter.

The FZ1000 has a MFD of about 1.25” and the Sony RX10 has one of 1” which is definitely better. I don’t know if this type of camera (what I call “premium fixed zoom lens cameras”) can be made with an even shorter MFD like my Nikon P7700, which is about .75”. If it can be done I think it would make a better all-purpose camera. The FZ1000 doesn’t need the 400mm telephoto (200mm-300mm is plenty), but it does need a better MFD.

I took the picture below with the P7700 and I think it shows the superiority of building the macro performance into the zoom lens itself (easier to focus and better depth of field).

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow