NEX & legacy tele zooms: great for wildlife introduction!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DLeeT
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
NEX & legacy tele zooms: great for wildlife introduction!
1 month ago

Some recent posts on using the NEX on legacy tele zooms inspired me to get out my ole Canon FD 75-200/4.5. All these lenses are pretty much shunned by the "glass experts," but they can be a lot of fun.

My lens is the cheapest of the cheap. You can get them any day on fleabay in good shape for under 50 USD.

You are going to see images on the forum -- obviously -- of much higher quality then these shots. But the point of the post is if you have been thinking about giving wildlife photography a try but don't really want to spend big bucks for a lens or new kit, these old lenses can be a cheap introduction to "critter shooting." If you decide you aren't interested you can probably sell the lens for what you paid for it. If, on the other hand, you get bitten by the wildlife bug, the skills you have learned with the cheap glass will carry over into a better lens. Plus you will have some fun!

So the last two days I have been taking some random shots with the old lens and my NEX-6. Hope it inspires someone to give wildlife a try.

Lee

This is the only shot taken in the lens's "macro" mode -- which is a big time misnomer but it does allow you close ups such as this (which my SEL 55-210 does not!)  Whether it is better than just standing further back in the tele mode, as in the dragonfly above, is problematic.

DLeeT's gear list:DLeeT's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow