Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
30 minute limit for video on DSLR
4 months ago

I know there's a 30 minute limit on DSLRs to avoid additional taxation and duties.  I wonder though, how much higher would they be?  It's not like camcorders are prohibitively expensive...so the extra taxes can't be that much.

Suppose Nikon came out with a D400 and a D400v (v for video).  The only difference was that the D400v was not limited to 30 minutes of video per clip.

1.  What would the cost difference be if the MSRP was $2000?  Let's call this difference $X

2.  How many people would cough up the extra $X in order to have the "better" camera?

In the end, I find it silly that nobody has said "screw it" let the consumer pay the extra duties for a camera with fewer limitation.

Also, if there were two versions, you know how folks around here would treat the people with the non-V version.  

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow