ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheBeast3
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Please help me choose between HX400V, HS50EXR and FZ200
4 months ago

Hello,

I'll start off by saying that I am a complete camera newbie but want to learn.  I have been doing research for a few days and fell on these 3 bridge cameras.  I am looking for a do-it-all camera capable of doing family portraits with our new baby (shouldn't be going more than 11x14, but maybe a few the next size up) and the occasional long zoom/closeup shot.  I know I could probably get better quality out of a non-superzoom camera but I definitely want the option of the high zoom to possibly get into wildlife shooting (I would like to get into it)

Image quality is my #1 priority.  I know they're not DSLRs and they all have small sensors and whatnot, but I am definitely no pixel peeper and if it looks great on a 11x14 shot I am happy.  Taking great video is my 2nd priority.  We just had a baby so we want a versatile camera.  Articulated Screen is also a must (or Wifi to take shots from the phone).

I live in Canada and prices for all 3 are comparable (around $425-500).  $500 is my maximum really.

FZ200:  I know it's an older camera, but I read all the rave about the constant f/2.8 across the entire focal length.  From what I understand that allows for faster shutter speed and is better in low light.  Is this actually the case versus the other two?  Does it mean it is better at capturing subject motion?  Is the IQ actually better?

HS50EXR:  This one is the cheapest, but not by much (maybe $30-50).  I read it had the better EVF of the bunch, and is all around a solid camera feature wise.  But again, IQ and Video capability is most important.  I know it's good, but is it better than the other two?

HX400V:  This was the one I was originally going to go with.  I have seen many good reviews and very few negative reviews.  No articulated screen (not fully anyway), but the Wifi makes up for it.  Also appears to be a very nice featured camera with the best zoom capability.  I also read that in certain conditions/settings the time it takes between shots is too long.  Is that a legitimate concern?

Any input and suggestion would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow