Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
thelenspainter
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to GlobalGuyUSA, 2 months ago

I just spent a couple of days shopping the older Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX against the Nikon 58 1.4G. Yes they are very different price points, but they actually have very similar rendering and similar performance.

My point: In my research the reviewers found that the 58 1.4 offers somewhat higher resolution wide open than the older Sigma, and much lower coma, but for creamy smooth bokeh the older Sigma is nearly as good.

So if you are calling the 58 soft, then the old Sigma must be a even softer! But I agree with you otherwise - I didn't realize it until the past few days, but the older Sigma is in the same spirit as the Nikon 58 1.4G, and photos from them actually look remarkably similar! I was thinking hard about getting the 58, but given the old Sigma is just now on rebate for $349 from B&H, it was hard to say no. I prefer the slightly wider FOV of the Sigma too.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow