Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Photos of a Steam Locomotive
4 months ago

Last weekend I had an opportunity to see a restoration of an old 1944 steam locomotive, and of course, take some photos. Great fun. Very cool machine. This is the Nickel Plate Road, Engine 765. Weighs in at 440,000 lbs without the tender (coal) car.

Enjoying my new a77ii - fantastic camera. These were all shot with the 16-80z lens as well.

Some color images first.

Side of the coal (tender) car.

Every 30 minutes or so, they would fire up the engine and move it down the track about 200 yards, then back it up for more tours. Very cool to see all the steam and hear the amazing whistle.

A few black and white conversions. Done with Silver Efex Pro.

My favorite b&w from the day.

Since the a77ii has some really nice bracketing options, I also shot a few images for HDR conversion. These were done with Nik HDR Efex Pro.

The engineer's window. Is it any wonder that it takes and Engineer to run these machines!

Thanks... Mike

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow