Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveyB
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 just arrived, quick and dirrty comparison with FZ200
2 months ago

Excited to have received the FZ1000 at last and wanted to test it against the FZ200, which I rate highly for my kind of photography i.e.  birds, butterflies, flowers, dragonflies etc with the odd landscape thrown in and usually carrying a lot of other kit.  "All-in-one" cameras really meet my needs and I plan on selling my DSLR and Nikon V1 plus all their lenses if the FZ1000 turns out to be as good as my first impressions indicate.

As far as the testing goes, don't expect too much - I just did what I'd do if I was out birding in good light i.e. shoot handheld, best quality jpegs at low ISOs, with iZoom enabled on both cameras and used to the full.  I never print larger than A4 and mainly post to the web, so my standards are a lot lower than many peoples' on this site! I couldn't find any suitable birds in the few minutes I had, so I shot an apple 

I'd be amazed if the FZ1000 doesn't out-perform the FZ200 for landscapes and close-up work (larger sensor, better dynamic range, though the FZ200s depth-of-field will give it some advantages for close-up work).  The key issue for me is whether the FZ1000 can match or even out-perform the the FZ200 at max possible zoom.  The two photos below show the FZ200 at max iZoom and the FZ1000, also at max iZoom, cropped to match the FZ200 shot.  The AF on the FZ1000, seems to be lightning fast, at least on static subjects - I'll try some BIF when I get a  minute.

FZ200 at full iZoom

FZ1000, full iZoom cropped to match FZ200 shot

-- hide signature --

Cheers
David
LX3, FZ10, FZ200 and Nikon D80 + 18-200VR + 70-300VR

DaveyB's gear list:DaveyB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D80 +4 more
Nikon D80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow