How is your Olympus Pen E-P5 reliability?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
adamkaty
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
How is your Olympus Pen E-P5 reliability?
3 months ago

I bought a Pen E-P5 in May and within a month had to send it in for warranty repair.  I received it back from repair in July and now am sending it back for repair today because it broke again.  This time really screwed me over because I was on vacation on an island and had rented the 12mm lens at a waste of over $100 since I never got to even use it and had to resort to my backup point and shoot I had luckily packed.   My question for other owners of the Pen E-P5 is how reliable is your camera?  Did I get unlucky with the one lemon or are all of these cameras this unreliable?  I'm trying to decide whether to sell this off when I get it back from repair and buy something else or keep it?  Here are the issues i've had:

1st repair issue - Camera would power itself off whenever it felt like.  About 50% of the time it would not even allow photos to be taken because it would shut off before even turning on fully.

Current issue - First problem was a random blue dot that sometimes shows up on the LCD screen and at other times shows up in photos but not on the screen.  Next, I got a message when turning on the camera with the 14-42EZ lens attached that said "check the status of a lens" so I removed it and put it back on.  After this the camera now will not recognize any lens that is attached.  When a lens is attached it basically looks like there is a lens cap on the end just a black screen and no photos can be taken.  All lenses have been tested on a separate M4/3 body when I returned from vacation and work perfectly.

Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow