Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SLN001
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
NEX Emergency Kit
3 months ago

Late last spring I was driving to an event and came across a scene I just had to photograph. There was a dead goose at the side of the road with its mate standing vigil beside the body. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera in the car (I was NOT going to attempt to get close enough to use my phone). If I had a camera I could have taken the time to take some photos but there was no way I could go home, get my camera and return. I swore then (quite a bit I'm afraid) that I would keep a camera in the car for just such events in the future.

I was lucky enough to find a used NEX-6 body, in good condition, for $300 and keep it in the trunk with some of my lenses. Of course, now that I am prepared, I haven't had a similar event.

The only drawback has been the occasional moment when I am looking for a specific lens to use, only to remember that it's in the car. I have had in the back of my mind for some time a plan to collect a few inexpensive lenses to keep in the car as a dedicated kit to eliminate the swapping back and forth but didn't act on it until last night when I came across a Konica 40mm pancake lens on Ebay.

I spent about an hour researching that and other Konica lenses and every review agreed that they were good quality products, well worth the price. So I went back to Ebay to fill out my kit. For $150 I was able to put this together:

Konica Hexanon AR 35mm F2.8 $35.00

Konica Hexanon AR 40mm F1.8 $45.00

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5 $35.00

Konica Hexanon 135mm,1:3.5 $20.00

Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8 $15.00

I believe that this will give me a kit that cover any foreseeable ad-hoc situation. At the same time should the worst happen and the kit be stolen I would be out enough to be unhappy, but not devastated.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Google Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow