ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
autre_pensee
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
AE/AF focus lock on d7000
1 month ago

Hello all,

You can read in many places around the forum how people love to assign the AE/AF button for focus lock and gain much shooting speed and focus accuracy by doing so.

So I tried it a while back and it was far less than a success. I isolated the issue to the 3 reasons listed below:

1- I shoot with my left eye on the viewfinder, partially blocking that button with the right side of my face. It became very impractical to access the AF lock.

2- I heard of two strategies, one that consists of focusing once, releasing the button (keeping focus locked by doing so If i understand correctly) and only pressing the button again when photographer/subject distance has changed.

I shoot as wide open as i can allowing me to keep iso low and ss high. My most favored lens is 50 1.8g and i will shoot it around 4-4.5 for close up portraits indoors. I also enjoy the background blur it gives me. However, it seems that it is such a shallow dof that leaving the af locked is unrealistic while staying pressed on af lock is unrealistic for reason 1

3- I'm not the only one using the camera and having a dissociated shutter/focus is not a possibility for the other shooter who just wants to take occasional snapshots.

I would like to give the AF lock another try. Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome the difficulties listed above?

Thank you for your time

-- hide signature --

http://www.klaminerophoto.com/
Nikon D7000 + Nikkor 18-105 + Nikkor 50mm f1.8g +Tamron 70-300 VC + Nikkor 12-24 f4
SB-700
SONY HX-100V

autre_pensee's gear list:autre_pensee's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow