Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 vs OMD-EM5 Elite with 12-20mm F2.8 Pro
2 months ago

I have the FZ1000, you'll see I love it from my other posts, but I have one more week with which I can exchange it for another camera.

My original goal was to find some of the enthusiasm for photography I have felt lacking since going with the Nex 5R then the RX100M2. I still have the RX and FZ200.

I can get for a similar price/exchange the OMD EM5 Elite kit, which is the black updated camera body and the (apparently superb) 12-40 F2.8 Pro Lens.

I don't like changing lenses and want to concentrate my photography on landscape and architecture, both day and night.

As much as I am really loving the FZ1000 it is big and heavy (for my small hands).

I've looked at camerasize and can see there is a fairly minor overall size difference, and maybe 100 grams lighter in favour of the Oly.

I'm aware this is not an apples for apples comparison by any means, but I can't help wonder if I'd be more enthused by a more traditional camera and the shorter range forcing better composition (again for me)

Will the Oly give tangibly nicer photos than the FZ? I think not - that is more up to me than the camera. But the experience is what I'm trying to resolve. The 5R ad RX100M2 are incredibly capable feats of technology, but just lack something that's very hard to put my finger on. I think the lack of viewfinder has something to do with it.

Confused but determined. Bored but inspired.

Any thoughts or opinions will be very gratefully received.

NB (I've posted in the M4/3 forum to maximise responses in the short time I have left - hopefully this is ok please DPR )

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
NEX5R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow